Saturday, 29 October 2011

Hip Hop on Hold. Audioslave on Repeat.

Alright so I am sure ya'll already know all about the latest news in the hip hop world. Kanye announced a G.O.O.D. album in the works, J. Cole announced his sophomore album will come out as soon as June 2012, Big Sean took a plea bargain in his sexual assault case...yadda yadda. Saturate me with your music not your news, drama, and nonsense. This happens to me every now and again with hip hop. It becomes just as pre-packaged as pop music. Artists fall face first into the music industry and everything that comes with the commercial success, leaving their raw and real talent behind. Defeating hip hops purpose and meaning - to express and relate struggles, experiences and realities in life. Contradicting where and why hip hop originated, and everything it stands for.
This just gets at me once in awhile, I hang in there hoping something new will put a buzz in my ear. New music not gossip that is. Then finally after hanging around like a hopeless groupie I have to put hip hop on the shelf for awhile. For like a day. ha! Well maybe a week. I still keep my left eye on it but take a big step back from it. More often then not I just go back to classics, like Lauryn or Biggie but lately I've just needed a real straight up break, like I need to smell the coffee beans so I can have a fresh sense or smell. So randomly when I was walking my dog Charlie I stumbled upon an older rock album on my ipod. I'd pretty much given up rock but this album reminded me how kick ass it was. It's Audioslave's 2002 album appropriately self titled "Audioslave". With tracks like "Show Me How To Live", "Like a Stone", "I am The Highway", "What You Are", and a the sneaky tune that grabbed my attention "Getaway Car" the album is classic. Chris Cornell's voice kills me, paired with his lingering lyrics and their instrumental creative talent, it's a combination that produces a timeless one of a kind sound. It's dark, light, hard, and smooth all mashed up into a cohesive album that takes you down a road of every harsh emotion you've ever felt. Audioslave indeed! :)

Like a Stone...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRyZKPEmByE&feature=related
Show Me How to Live...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js7I-FKPsQo&feature=related
Shadow on the Sun...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEGPm80Dg2I&feature=related
What You Are...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UCl6Ypwz-M&feature=related
Getaway Car...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVuUUoyGNqA&feature=related

Those are my favorite tracks!

P.S. I still love you hip hop, my left eye is still on ya. Give me a few days, some quality tracks and our love affair will be back on! I am looking out for Big K.R.I.T. he's got an album on the way which I am hoping will seduce me.

In the mean time enjoy some classic rock ya'll. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment