Monday, 6 February 2012

"Desert Flower" = must see!

This small movie is an extraordinary true story of a Somalian nomad circumcised at 3, sold into marriage at 13, who then fled from Africa to become an American supermodel, and at the age of 38 the UN spokeswoman against circumcision. The courage and perseverance of this woman from childhood, her journey and her triumphs under the most difficult of circumstances is a remarkable story. I've been thinking about it on and off since I watched it the other night. It opened up my eyes and my heart, and forced me into an uncomfortable reality. Which is necessary to truly realise how inhumane, ignorant, and rotten the world can be. Especially for woman. I strongly recommend it to all. It's may not be a blockbuster but it's a brutally, beautiful bestseller . . . Rent it already! Make sure you have tissue in hand.

1 comment: